Casseroles are a hungry families best friend, not only can they feed everybody but you can also hide nutritious foods that your kids may not want to try yet.
This dish starts with crowd pleasing chicken and crunchy broccoli. Fluffy white rice is mix in then everything is smothered in a creamy cheese sauce that no child can resist!
For Chicken and Vegetables:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
- 2 ½ cups cooked white rice
- 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350° F. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add mushrooms and salt; continue to cook 4 to 6 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Add rice to bowl. Stir to combine. Stir in chicken.
- In 1-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over melted butter; add 1/4 teaspoon salt. Beat with whisk. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly beat in milk with whisk 2 tablespoons at a time until smooth and combined. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- Slowly beat sour cream and Cheddar cheese into sauce mixture with whisk. Reserve 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; set aside. Beat remaining Parmesan cheese into milk mixture. Add to bowl with chicken and vegetables; stir to combine. Pour into baking dish; spread evenly.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer.