How many different ways can you eat every color of the rainbow? This recipe for Rainbow Cake in a Mason Jar makes it so easy to bake your colorful cake and eat it, too!
This is a fun one to make with the kids - they’ll have a blast mixing up the different colors and scooping them into the jar. Take things up a notch when decorating with some rainbow sprinkles if you like!
- 1 box white cake mix, plus ingredients required on the box
- Food coloring gel in purple, blue, green, yellow, and red
- 1 container white frosting
- 3 wide-mouth glass canning jars (1 pint each)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare mason jars by first washing and drying thoroughly. Spray the inside of each jar generously with nonstick spray.
- Follow box directions to prepare the cake mix. Split the batter up evenly between 5 bowls, then add food coloring to each bowl and stir to blend well to the desired hue.
- Scoop about ¼ cup of each color batter into each jar, layering in the following order: purple (on the bottom), blue, green, yellow, red (on the top).
- Place the filled mason jars in a glass baking dish, then add ¼-inch of water to the bottom of the dish outside of the jars. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until the cake tops are springy to the touch.
- Cool the cakes completely, then frost and decorate as you like! Enjoy!