Tradition for Mother’s Day often includes breakfast in bed, and what better dish to make than delicious and flaky Breakfast Pies?!
These puff pastry “pies” are topped with delicious ingredients that are easily customizable to Mom’s taste. This works as an easy breakfast anytime - serve warm or at room temperature.
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed
- 4 eggs
- Fresh thyme or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Salt and pepper
For the Bacon Spinach Swiss pies:
- Sliced bacon, cooked
- Swiss cheese, shredded
- Spinach, roughly chopped
For the Ham Mushroom Cheddar Tomato pies:
- Sliced mushrooms, sautéed
- Cooked ham, sliced
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the puff pastry sheet into 4 equal squares and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using a knife, score a 1/2-inch edge around each pastry square, cutting about halfway through the dough. Bake for 10-12 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Remove the pastry squares from the oven and push down the inner portion of the dough with a spoon or spatula to create a raised rim on the sides.
- For the first pie type, gently arrange a few slices of bacon around the edge. Then add the spinach and the cheese to the inner portion of the shell. Top with an egg and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
- For the second pie type, gently arrange a piece of ham in the inner portion of the shell. Then add the mushrooms and cheese. Top with an egg and tuck in a few cherry tomato halves. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the pies to the oven and bake 15-20 minutes until the eggs are cooked the way you like.