Baked beans have always been a favorite in my house. The salty-sweetness that goes so fabulously with sides like cornbread or even macaroni and cheese...I can never get enough!
This recipe for Root Beer Baked Beans is so simple, anybody could make it. I recommend using a pot that’s oven-safe for easy cleanup, because it’ll make this dish a one pot meal! Serve this up for dinner and everyone will be asking for seconds and thirds!
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 (16-ounce) cans pork and beans, undrained
- 3/4 cup root beer
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, cook ground beef until browned, then drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, cook bacon, then reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon fat. Drain the rest on paper towels and crumble once cooled.
- Using the reserved bacon fat, saute the diced onion until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add ground beef and bacon back in, then add the remainder of the ingredients, mixing together until well-incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to a 2-quart baking dish prepared with nonstick spray, (or bake directly in the pot if it is oven-safe). Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until bubbling and slightly thickened.
- Serve with cornbread or alongside any other dish you like. Enjoy!