Grilled cheese is one of those classic dishes that pretty much everyone can love because it’s so customizable - but have you ever heard of Cauliflower Grilled Cheese?!
Yes, it’s true, grilled cheese sandwiches can be low carb, and still taste absolutely delicious! Cauliflower is a surprising substitute for bread, but the taste and texture are spot on. Go on and give it a try - you might just make grilled cheeses with cauliflower from now on!
- 1 head cauliflower, (to make about 4 cups processed cauliflower)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 cups white Cheddar, shredded
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Process cauliflower florets in a food processor until the texture resembles rice. Alternatively, you can grate the cauliflower.
- In a medium bowl, combine processed cauliflower, eggs, Parmesan and oregano. Mix until evenly combined then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray then scoop the cauliflower mixture into a small patty on one side of the pan. Repeat to form a second patty on the other side. These act as your “bread” slices. Press down on both pieces with a spatula and cook until golden underneath, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until the other sides are golden, about 3 minutes more.
- Top one cauliflower slice with cheese then place the other cauliflower slice on top. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more per side. Repeat with remaining ingredients.