The dreaded cold season is upon us....
If you're anything like me, the thought of using chemical after chemical just to get some relief from cold symptoms doesn't sound like the greatest thing. That's why this year I did some research and was able to find recipes for all natural homemade cold remedies that actually work! Give them a shot, you'll be happy you did!
Pineapple Cough Syrup
- 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple with core intact.
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger chopped
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend into a smooth mixture.
- Keep in fridge and use as needed.
- ¾ cup of honey
- ¾ cup of boiling water
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 chamomile tea bag
- 1 peppermint tea bag
- Steep tea bags, cinnamon, and ginger in boiling water for 10 mins.
- Remove tea bags and pour into small saucepan.
- Add honey and heat mixture over medium heat until it begins to boil.
- Using a candy thermometer, boil mixture until it reaches 300 degrees.
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool for 5-10 minutes, or until it gets a syrupy texture.
- Drop small spoonfuls of mixture onto parchment paper and allow to cool completely.
Runny Nose Remedy
- Bowl of hot water
- Hold your head over the bowl of water and take deep breaths in and out through your nose for about 10 min.
- Blow your nose.
Fever, Chills, and Aches
- 8oz of water
- Herbal tea
- Crystalized ginger
- Add honey to the bottom of mug.
- Steep tea and once hot and ready pour into mug.
- Add a pinch of turmeric, and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon wedge.
- Drop a couple pieces of crystalized ginger in the bottom of the mug.
Chest Congestion Vapor Rub
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup Shea butter
- 2 Tbsp beeswax
- Eucalptus Oil
- Peppermint Oil
- Lavender Oil
- Rosemary Oil
- Tea tree Oil
- Add coconut oil and shea butter to a saucepan and place on low heat to allow to melt.
- Once melted add in the beeswax and allow that melt down to a liquid.
- Add in essential oils and then transfer to a jar and allow to cool.
Homemade Sleep Salve
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup almond oil
- 2 oz dried lavender
- 2 oz beeswax
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp witch hazel
- Lavender essential oil
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees
- Add coconut oil, almond oil, and lavender to a oven safe dish and place in the oven for 6 hours.
- Strain the mixture into a saucepan to remove the dried lavender.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and add honey, stirring until completely dissolved.
- Add beeswax and allow to melt completely.
- Remove mixture from heat, allow to cool and then add in witch hazel and essential oils.
- Pour mixture into container and allow to cool to room temperature.