Food & Restaurants | Weird | Trending

A Woman Suffered From Crohn's Disease For Six Years, Only To Discover It Was Just Ketchup

From the time that we became toddlers, society has been telling us that there are things that you just shouldn't put in your body. Whether it's our favorite Fisher Price toy, a Hot Wheels car, crayons, or even Lego pieces, the man's been telling us for years that those colorful bits of plastic aren't as tasty as they look.

While most of us end up learning this lesson, it seems that every day there's another adult who reverts back to being a 3-year-old and ends up with something in their body that really, REALLY shouldn't be there.

Imgur

Whether it's a man swallowing a Playmobil toy and it getting absorbed into his lungs, or a woman getting a piece of glitter stuck in her eye (only for it to be diagnosed as herpes), fewer and fewer people seem to be learning this important lesson that we all need to know. Worse still, these incidents have led to these people developing some pretty significant health issues.

Parenting Journals

However, this newest case has to take the cake. A woman had been suffering from Crohn's disease, only for an x-ray to reveal that she had swallowed something she shouldn't have, which was now stuck in her intestines...

For six long years, this woman (who has not been named) was convinced she was suffering from Crohn's disease, an inflammatory bowel disease that, while treatments exist, is ultimately incurable.

Imgur

The symptoms were all there: stomach pain, bloating, exhaustion, it all pointed to her having Crohn's. After trying several treatments that proved ineffective, she elected to have doctors cut into her intestines to see what they could find.

WebMD

While performing the surgery however, doctors found something very strange; a completely intact Heinz Ketchup packet that had lodged itself in her intestines, somehow swallowed whole.

Heinz

It turns out the ketchup packet was entirely responsible for the woman's "Crohn's disease," as the symptoms she suffered from went away as soon as it was removed. We can only speculate as to how she got a ketchup packet stuck there in the first place.

What's the weirdest injury you've ever seen?