Have you ever gone to make toast in the morning and you open the bag only to find a blue spot on your bread? What a total downer for the entire day.
Same thing when you go to slice off a piece of cheese from the brick.
One tiny spot of mold can ruin your whole day!
But according to a show on the BBC, experts actually say most foods are safe to eat even if there's evidence of mold.
The show "Trust Me, I'm A Doctor" saw host Michael Mosley leave a variety of foods to go moldy and then bring in experts to let him know if there were still safe to eat.
Here's what the experts have to say about some of the most common foods that people find mold on.
According to the experts, blue and white mold on bread is still consumable, you just have to cut away the moldy parts. Make sure you cut around the mold as well, because it spreads without showing.
NOTE: If your bread has yellow, orange, or black mold it should be thrown away IMMEDIATELY.
Because today's jams have less sugar in them, they go moldy more easily despite being a preserve. If you scoop off the mold and about an inch below, the jam should be safe to eat.
See when, if ever, it's okay to eat moldy cheese on the next page.
Hard cheeses are entirely safe to eat once you cut the mold off. Because they're so dense and don't allow for oxygen to help the mold thrive, the mold can't travel far into the cheese. Again, cut off a bit around the molded area so you know it's all been taken care of.
Most fruits are safe to eat once you've removed the moldy areas. The acid in the fruit helps prevent any harmful bacteria. If they're covered in mold, though, you should probably just throw them out.
Apples are the exception to this. They produce a harmful toxin once they're moldy, so don't take the risk.
Foods to Avoid
If you notice these foods have taken a turn, then don't even risk it.
- Soft Cheeses
- Slimy Vegetables (the slime is bacteria)
- Mouldy Nuts and Seeds
- Meat (unless it's dry cured)
Are you someone who throws out moldy food right away? Will this change your mind?