Can dinner get any easier than this? I don't think so! This Cheddar Fontina Penne is going to be your new go-to weekday meal when you're just too tired and busy to make anything. Not only is this recipe quick and easy, but it's delicious and will please your whole family, so grab your Instant Pot and get ready to make some dinner magic!
- 1 1/3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 3/4 cups Water
- 1 package multigrain penne 14.5-ounces
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk low fat
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper ground
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese shredded,about 3/4 cup
- 3 ounces fontina cheese shredded, about 3⁄4 cup
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup scallions finely chopped
- Remove lid from a 6-quart Instant Pot. Press [Sauté]; use [Adjust] to select “Normal” mode. When the word “Hot” appears, swirl in 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Add panko; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until golden brown. Turn cooker off. Remove panko from inner pot; set aside. Wipe inner pot with a paper towel.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of the water and pasta to cooker. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Turn the steam release handle to “Sealing” position. Press [Manual]; select “High Pressure,” and use [-] or [+] to choose 3 minutes pressure cooking time. Open the cooker using Quick Pressure Release.
- Remove pasta with a slotted spoon; place in a medium bowl. Add milk, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and red pepper to cooking liquid. Combine remaining 1/4 cup water and flour in a small bowl; gradually add to milk mixture, stirring with a whisk.
- With lid off, press [Sauté], and use [Adjust] to select “More” mode. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick. Turn cooker off.
- Add cheeses, stirring until cheeses melt. Stir in cooked pasta, tossing gently to coat.
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1/3 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add tomatoes; sauté 2 minutes or until soft.
- Top pasta mixture with tomatoes and scallions; sprinkle with panko.
- Note: For a smooth sauce, be sure to combine the flour and water before adding it to the pot.
Recipe Credit: Time Inc.