You bought a packet of couscous because you wanted to try new things, mix your diet up a little. But that was two months ago and were you to get yourself to prepare anything with it, you should still have to check it is expired first, right? Does this sound familiar? If it does, do not worry. This happens to many people because trying new things and experimenting in the kitchen is just not for everybody.
So, get a new packet of couscous here riceselect.com/product/riceselect-pearl-couscous because you’ve just hit the right button and this article will give you some ideas for you to try with it.
Recipe: lemon and garlic chicken couscous
Filling, appetizing, colorful and tasty, this recipe will blow your mind. Consider this as an inspo recipe. What does this mean? For example, if you are lactose intolerant or if you are trying to reduce the dairy intake you might skip the ricotta.
You will need the following ingredients
- 2 chicken breasts or 3 chicken thighs.
- 1 cup of green beans.
- 1 ½ cup of pearl couscous.
- 3 cups of chicken or vegetable stock.
- 3 cloves of garlic.
- 1 lemon.
- Ricotta to taste.
- 2 tbsp of thyme.
- 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Salt to taste.
- Pepper to taste.
- Lemon zest.
- Parmesan cheese.
Now, follow these steps
- In a wide skillet, pour some extra virgin olive oil and take it to a medium heat.
- Take the chicken breasts or thighs and cube the parts up. Take it to the skillet and sprinkle some salt and pepper all over. Cook until they are sealed and start to brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set that aside. You will bring it back later.
- As the chicken cooks, you can chop or mince three cloves of garlic. Consider using less if you are not a big fan of it. Take it to the skillet and add a cup and a half of couscous.
- Right after, add the chicken or vegetable broth and cover the skillet so that it cooks. Take the heat to a simmer and leave the skillet covered until the couscous is soft and tender.
- Once done, bring back the chicken and add a cup of green beans.
- Add some lemon juice and, again, use one or two lemons depending on how strong you want that flavor.
- Add the ricotta and season everything with some more salt and pepper. Cook for an extra five minutes so that the couscous is fully soaked in the lemon juice.
- Your dish is ready to serve. You can garnish the plate with some Parmesan cheese and some lemon zest. Enjoy!
More on couscous
Considering this could be a first recipe, try varying the ingredients in this one to create new meals following the same steps.
Also, remember you can include couscous in salads and soups and that will make the cooking method vary, but they are also great ways to include it in your everyday meals.
Lastly, try changing rice for couscous next time you are making a risotto, it is a whole new experience!
A tip on the side: new food habits
Whether it is couscous or any new ingredient you want to start including in your diet, the process will be easier if you find new and innovative ways to include them. Cooking is more fun when it guarantees an unexpected experience. You should be able to enjoy not only having the final dish, but the whole process of making it. Take couscous as an example. The truth is that it doesn't look so tasteful in the gondola, but there are probably a million ways to make it nothing but delicious! And let’s be honest, the process is not complicated at all.
Moreover, consider using ingredients that are meal prep suitable as organization and planning is the key to success when you are trying to create a new habit or when you want to force yourself into trying new stuff.
Meal prepping guarantees your future self you are going to have what you made in advance because who would rather make a full new meal when you have one ready and just thirty seconds in the microwave away?
Share your experience with couscous below and keep getting out of your comfort zone!