Tater tots are in 90% of north american households freezers, but have you ever thought of making them at home? Just imagine customizing your tots with your favorite flavors or even changing the size?
When I grew up I noticed tater tots were just that "tots". I need bigger food because well i'm bigger now and I think food should grow with you. In addition to making these bigger I also added cheese into the mix. Now may I introduce you to the Giant Cheesy Tot!
- 2 1/2 lbs baking potatoes, russet or your favorite type
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- Seasoning Salt/Sea Salt
- Preheat deep fryer to 375.
- Peel your potatoes and boil for about 30 minutes until tender but not mushy.
- Remove from pot and let cool.
- Once cool shred in a food processor and place in large bowl.
- Mix in your garlic salt, paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper and cheese.
- Shape each one into a giant tot using about 3 Tablespoons of mixtures.
- In separate bowls place your flour, eggs and breadcrumbs.
- To coat the tots start by rolling in flour, dipping in eggs then lastly into breadcrumbs.
- Place on baking sheet until each one is coated.
- In batches place in deep fryer and fry until golden.
- Remove and let drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Sprinkle with some seasoning salt and/or sea salt and serve!