Some people seem to have a natural gift when it comes to choosing the perfect gift—every single time.
For others, choosing a gift is one of the toughest decisions they have to make, and even when they do end up choosing one, it doesn’t stop them from spending the next few weeks doubting their decision and wishing they’d gone with another instead.
If you belong to the second category, we get you and know what you’re going through. Which is why we’ve put together a list of tips which will help reduce your gift-giving fatigue.
Not only that, but you may even end up enjoying the process of gift-giving, once you figure out the secret formula to choosing the right gift, no matter who it's for.
So let’s dive right into it and help you find the perfect gift every single time this year - happy shopping!
1. Pick the Right Category
No matter who you’re shopping for, you will be able to put their likes into specific categories (even if they say they don’t have preferences when it comes to gifts).
The trick is to pay attention to the small details, and you’ll be able to easily come up with a handful of things that you know will be useful to them.
Which brings us to one of the main points to have in mind when shopping for gifts—a good gift is both useful and delightful. The recipient should be able to get some kind of solid value out of it - that’s when you know you’ve nailed it.
So, how do you figure out which niche of gifts you should be looking into for a person? If you have no idea about what this person likes (which very rarely does happen), just think of the answers to these questions:
- Do they spend a lot of time grooming themselves, and do they always look their best selves?
- Do they have a wonderful home which is perfectly decorated?
- Is gardening one of their major hobbies?
- Are they an art lover?
- Do they love to read more than anything else in the world?
- Do they love cooking or baking? Or, do they enjoy gifts that they can eat? (Belgium chocolate is an excellent gift, in that case!)
Do you see how easy it is to understand what kind of gift a person would like? All you have to do is notice the small things, and you’re almost always going to be right about the gift they’d like.
2. Make a List of Items
Once you’re done picking a category, it’s time to narrow down on the gift. This is a slightly more time consuming process, but these pointers will help you simplify the process!
For instance, let’s assume the person you’re shopping for enjoys coffee. Here’s what your list would look like:
(We recommend that you use a good note-taking software such as Notion, or anything else to make a clear list of your best gift ideas)
Choosing Gifts for Coffee Lovers
- Best gifts for people who love coffee
- Coffee hampers they’d enjoy
- Mugs that will make their day (and coffee) better
- Coffee-making equipment they don’t own
- Different types of coffee from around the world
- Gift hampers from their favorite coffee brand
- Chocolates made of coffee
And the list goes on! Once you come up with a list of headings such as this, you can begin doing your research and filling in the best options (that fit within your budget) under each heading before you finalize on the perfect gift.
3. Things to Remember
The main things you’ll need to keep in mind when shopping are:
- Be absolutely positive that they don’t already own what you’re about to give them.
- Make sure there’s both value and delight in the gift.
- Find the right balance between expensive and cheap - you don’t want to give them something they would easily buy for themselves, nor do you want to make them feel overwhelmed with a gift that screams “too much!”
- Make the gift-wrapping look classy, no matter what!