Essay writing is one of the most popular tasks assigned to college students. Although it is generally considered a free writing style, there are still some rules that you need to stick to in order to deliver a winning essay. So how to write a good essay? What does an A-grade paper look like? Let us get all this straightened out.
What Is Important in Your Essay?
There are some key essay assessment criteria that guide most tutors when they give a mark for the assignment. To score the max, you need to take care of the following aspects of your paper:
- Essay topic - your essay should be interesting to read; it should address either an important or pressing issue. When deciding on a theme for your essay, make sure that it touches and resonates with readers;
- Essay contents - your paper should be well-researched and have a solid informational backbone. Instead of just writing down your ideas and concerns related to the topic under discussion, research a theme, collect important information, and use it in your writing. Believe us - tutors immediately identify papers that were done with no research or topic investigation. Such college essays never bring high grades to students;
- Essay structure - no matter what you are writing about in your essay, it is important to structure the paper well. Your piece should consist of the introduction, body, and conclusion. What is more, these shouldn’t be formatted as a single paragraph. Make sure that every element is made as a separate section and that the entire text is easy to read.
- Writing quality - at this point, you need to check how you state on paper, what words you use to express your thoughts, and what sentences you write. When working on a college essay, you shouldn’t use slang, scientific terms, or archaic expressions. It is never a good idea to make the whole text consist of complex sentences. The best approach would be to mix one short and three long sentences. Thus, you will make sure that it is easy to follow your thought and that a reader doesn’t forget the main point when reading the sentence to the end.
- Thesis statement - your essay should contain a key message. And the whole content should revolve around it. So once you are done with the topic research, analyze the found info and formulate a topic sentence that expresses your key opinion.
- Formatting - as a rule, your essay should be formatted according to one of the accepted citation styles. It can be either MLA or APA. Stick to the formatting rules;
- The absence of errors/ plagiarism - obviously, even a consistent and well-researched paper will never land you an A if it contains multiple grammar or punctuation errors. The same can be applied to plagiarism issues. Most tutors use professional plagiarism checkers. Therefore, you need to carefully proofread your essay and run it through plagiarism checking software. Only in such a way, you can make sure that it is safe to submit to your teacher.
As you can see, there are many things to take care of when writing a college essay. Therefore, we do not recommend that you leave it too late. An outstanding paper cannot be written overnight. So plan your effort smartly!
Step-by-Step Approach to College Essay Writing
Do not waste your time figuring out what you need to do when working on the essay writing assignment. We will help you plan the agenda - just follow the below guide, and things will get easier for you:
- Step 1 - formulate an essay topic;
- Step 2 - run full-fledged research;
- Step 3 - write down your key findings (formulate them as short statements);
- Step 4 - group the key statements based on the idea they deliver;
- Step 5 - formulate your key idea addressing the contents;
- Step 6 - create an essay outline (it should define the order of the main points in your essay);
- Step 7 - deliver the first draft;
- Step 8 - proofread the paper and fix all the errors;
- Step 9 - check paper formatting (title page, in-text citations; reference page, etc.);
- Step 10 - scan the paper through a plagiarism checker.
It is important that you do not skip any of the above steps; otherwise, you risk overlooking something important, which will negatively affect your grade. We doubt that you want this to happen. So do we!
If this instruction is still not enough for you, visit Essaysonline.Org. There you will be helped to write essay.