Sour cream and onion chips were always my absolute favorite growing up (& still are!), so when I heard they made a great addition to potato salad, I just had to give it a try!
This Sour Cream and Onion Potato Salad will be a huge hit at your next get together. While the chips themselves are optional, this salad tastes great with or without - if you love a little crunch though, the chips are mandatory! This is guaranteed to be your new go-to potato salad.
If you don't like sour cream and onion flavored chips, why not experiment with other flavors? Dill pickle, salt and vinegar or regular chips would all taste great when added to this salad.
Scroll down to get the full directions for how to make this irresistible potato salad.
- 8 medium Yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1" cubes
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream and onion potato chips, crumbled (optional)
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water, season generously with salt, and bring water to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl or trifle dish, mix sour cream, mayonnaise and onion powder. Fold in potatoes and green onions.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, or until ready to serve.
- Once ready to serve, season with salt and pepper to taste, then garnish with more green onions. Top with crumbled chips, if desired.
Do you know someone who would go crazy for this potato salad? Make sure to share this recipe with them!
Have you ever tried putting potato chips in your potato salad before? How did it turn out? What flavors did you like the best? Let us know!
Check out our video below that shows you step by step how to make this delicious Sour Cream & Onion Potato salad.