These days, it can be hard to believe that Sears was once America's largest retail chain.
The department store, with its signature catalogs and Wish Books, was dethroned by Walmart in 1989, but maintained a strong presence for several decades.
Even in 2013, after being absorbed by Kmart, the chains held a combined 1980 locations nationwide.
Now, less than half of those stores are still standing, and the company has just announced more locations will close before the holidays.
These Old Chains Ain't What They Used To Be
Sears has already shuttered hundreds of locations nationwide, but the company's massive debt is still dragging them underwater.
Their Canadian division folded earlier this year, while Sears branches in Mexico and Puerto Rico have been sold off.
All told, there are just over 500 Sears stores left in America, and less than 400 Kmarts.
After putting more than 40 locations out of business this summer, another 11 are now set to shut their doors for good before Christmas 2018.
In September, Howard Riefs, a spokesperson for Sears, called their stores "a critical component to our integrated retail transformation," and hinted the company could still make "further adjustments as needed."
A "make or break" deadline for the company could come later this month. Sears is set to make a $134 million debt payment on October 15.
Closing Deals In Time For The Holidays
For the average shopper, the important details are where the new closures are, and when they will begin.
This is your last chance to say goodbye to your local store, or enjoy some excellent discounts during the upcoming closing sales.
Here is the updated list of stores closing this fall (Note: closing dates are not available for all locations):
- Golf Mill Shopping Center, 400 Golf Mill Ctr, Niles, IL (December 16)
- Eastern Hills Mall, 4545 Transit Rd, Williamsville, NY (Not listed.)
- The Mall at Fairfield Commons, 2727 Fairfield Commons, Beavercreek, OH (December)
- San Jacinto Mall, 1000 San Jacinto Mall, Baytown, TX (Not listed.)
- Broadway Square, 4701 S Broadway Ave, Tyler, TX (December)
- Grand Central Mall, 500 Grand Central Ave, Vienna, WV (December)
- 500 Fitzgerald Dr, Pinole, CA (Not listed.)
- 6865 Hollister Ave, Goleta, CA (October)
- 635 Dutchess Turnpike, Poughkeepsie, NY (December 23)
- 6626 Metropolitan Avenue, Middle Village, NY (October)
- 4251 John Marr Drive, Annandale, VA (November 18)