Vintage and retro recipe can get a bad reputation sometimes. This one at first glance might get some bad reviews but give this a second spoon full to really make your decision about it.
Hellman’s had a cookbook way back in the day and this recipe looked very interesting. We all need more creamy jello side dish for our holiday festivities. Prepare to be surprised!
- 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1/2 cup Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 can cranberry sauce
- 1 apple or orange, peeled and diced, or 1 8-1/2 ounce can pineapple tidbits
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix gelatin with sugar and salt. Add hot water. Stir until dissolved. Add Real Mayonnaise, lemon juice and lemon rind. Blend with hand mixer. Pour into baking sheet and place in freezer 10-15 min., or until firm about 1 inch from edge but soft in center. Beat until fluffy. Fold in cranberry sauce, fruit and walnuts. Pour into molds and chill until firm. Unmold on lettuce. Top with Real Mayonnaise.