My family isn't really into smoothies, but we got a NutriBullet anyway.
They were marketed to be the perfect kitchen accessory, and to be fair, the first few months that we had it our fruits were blended to perfection.
We were making healthy smoothies almost every day, but once we got out of that smoothie phase, we put the blender aside.
A few months later, we decided to make smoothies again, but unfortunately things took a turn for the worst.
Our NutriBullet blew up while it was plugged in and started fuming. The gas started making our whole kitchen hazy.
I never reported the incident, just urged my friends to buy a higher quality blender.
Turns out, I'm not the only one who has encountered this problem.
There have been more than two dozen reported cases where a NutriBullet has exploded without warning, resulting in injuries.
In late 2017, the mother of late singer Jenni Rivera filed a lawsuit against the company after she claimed her device "exploded" and caused serious burns to her body.
“I went to the emergency room because it was just so much pain, it was burning so much,” Rivera said.
This recent lawsuit explains that the blender's canister can pressurize to the point that it can explode.
And even if the high-powered blender doesn't explode, it's still a safety concern.
"The blenders pose a safety risk to users as well as other people -- including children -- who may be in close proximity to the blender when it explodes," according to the filing. "Despite its knowledge, NutriBullet fails to warn its consumers that the product may explode posing a serious safety risk to users and any living thing in the proximity of the explosion."
In a statement to CBS MoneyWatch, the company who owns the blender, NutriBullet, stood by the quality of their product.
"NutriBullet is dedicated to the safety and satisfaction of its customers. Every day, millions of customers safely use the NutriBullet to blend nutritious smoothies from fruits, vegetables, and nuts. NutriBullets are safe and present no issue if used as directed, such as not blending heated foods, or using the blender for longer than necessary to make a smoothie, which is generally less than one minute."
How You Can Stay Safe
TODAY Food asked Marilyn Haugen, the author of 175 Best Superfood Blender Recipes: Using the NutriBullet, to share some of her safety tips.
Here's what she had to say:
1. Never blend for more than one minute.
She recommends to stop every 30 seconds to shake the container before turning the device on again.
2. Only put cold liquids.
The machine is not designed to blend warm or hot items.
3. Don't fill it up.
Make sure the items in your NutriBullet don't exceed 2/3 of the container, or else the juices will seep out and eventually destroy the base unit.
4. Clean the machine immediately after each use.
“Just clean it immediately and hand wash it if you can. Small prongs on the cups can break and then the blade won’t fit as well. There’s a rubber ring around the edge of the blade that seals it tightly to the cup [and] the heat from the dishwasher can damage it or change its shape, and it won’t seal properly when blending," she said.
5. Make sure you're not blending only ice.
There needs to be enough liquid in the container to prevent the machine from overheating.
6. Read the safety manual.
If you're ever unsure about how to use a high-powered device, read the manual. It's worth it in the long run!
Have you had any bad experiences with your NutriBullet? Warn your friends about the potential dangers of this blender.
[H/T: CBS News]