When it comes to cooking fish, I could have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This staple food tastes delicious in a multitude of different ways. Cod with Pancetta, Artichokes and Olives has turned into one of my new routine weeknight dinner recipes.
The flavor in this dish is to die for! This is an easy meal to make if you're looking to impress with little fuss. To cook our fish to perfection, we used Staub's 3-Quart Tomato Cocotte. The cocotte itself is a showstopper in this bold red color, is completely non-stick with an enamel coating, which is the ideal surface for this kind of dish. Why not add this delicious recipe to your kitchen repertoire?
- 4 6-ounce pieces fresh cod loin fillet
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 15-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup large green olives, pitted and halved
Pat the cod dry and season with salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in your cocotte or a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until crisp and golden, 2 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a paper-towel-lined plate, leaving the fat behind in the pan.
Add the fish to the skillet and cook until slightly golden, about 3 minutes. Flip and transfer to a plate, seared side up.
Add the onion, thyme, and pepper flakes to the skillet; cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes. Add the wine and cook until the pan is almost dry, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juice, artichokes, and olives. Simmer, stirring occasionally, to meld the flavors, about 2 minutes.
Lower the heat to medium and nestle the fish into the sauce, keeping the seared side exposed. Cover and cook until the fish is opaque and just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with the pancetta, and serve.