Mexico has one of the most varied cuisines in the world. Each state in this country has its own versions of typical national dishes. When we talk about Mexican food, strong and spicy dishes always come to mind, such as tacos, burritos, enchiladas, food that is heavy, high in calories and fats.
However, there are dishes in this country that are healthy and lighter that contrast with classic Mexican dishes. One good example is Mexican rice or Arroz Rojo, as it is also called.
Today you will learn more about this meal that will provide the best nutrients of tomatoes, bell peppers and rice. Also, we bring you a delicious recipe for Mexican rice that we are sure you will love.
MinuteRice® is one of the best rice-based products brands. On its website, you will find a lot of recipes and its high-quality rice products information. Visit it and read an alternative way to make a Mexican Rice by clicking the next link: minuterice.com/recipes/mexican-rice/
One of the most flavorful rice-based dishes
Mexican rice is a white rice dish, but instead of being cooked in water, it is cooked in a broth of tomatoes blended with garlic, onion, chili and/or aromatic herbs. What makes this dish different is that the rice is cooked covered in the pot until it absorbs all the broth and acquires this reddish color.
Although the traditional method of preparation of this rice is cooked in the tomato broth, another method of preparation is to sauté the rice in a pan with little oil or butter to give it a pearly tone, and then the sauce, or water or chicken broth is added with chopped tomatoes. According to the taste of each household, the dish can be enriched with peas, corn, potatoes, rajas or even cheese.
How can Mexican rice benefit your health?
Rice is a food rich in vitamins B1 and E, present in its husk; as well as niacin, riboflavin, folic acid and thiamine. It also provides the body with vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids. Among the properties of rice, it should be noted that it is a fat and cholesterol free food.
Tomatoes provide calcium, phosphorus, potassium and sodium to the body, and the vitamins they contain are A, B1, B2, and C. In addition, the tomato is a food with antiseptic, alkalizing, detox, diuretic, digestive, laxative, anti-inflammatory and remineralizing properties.
Finally, the red bell peppers provide vitamin C, fiber, antioxidants and are a low-calorie food.
It is the food richest in vitamin C, it even provides three times more vitamin C than oranges; its antioxidant properties take care of our body, delaying aging and taking care of us inside and its high content of vitamin A favors the sense of sight.
Mexican rice recipe
- 1 cup of rice.
- 2 cups of chicken broth.
- 2 tsp. of chicken broth powder.
- 1 piece of carrot (diced).
- 1 cup of peas.
- 2 units of potatoes (diced).
- 2 units of tomato.
- 1 piece of onion.
- 1 clove of garlic.
- 1 pinch of salt.
- In a bowl of boiling water soak the rice for 10 minutes.
- Drain and put it in the sun for another 15 minutes. Separately, heat a pan with a lot of oil.
- Once the oil is very hot, fry the rice together with the vegetables (carrots, peas and potatoes).
- Separately, grind the tomato, onion and garlic with a little water. When the rice takes a light brown color, remove the excess oil and add the tomato (already ground and strained).
- Add two teaspoons of powdered chicken broth and let it season, since the oil is visible on the top of the rice.
- Add two cups of chicken broth and cover until the chicken broth is consumed.
- After broth has been consumed, taste the texture of rice. If it's still hard, add more chicken broth until rice gets soft while cooking.
- Remove from heat and let it stand for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Red rice is one of Mexicans' favorite side dishes. You can accompany it with meat, chicken, pork and fish stews.
- You can also add vegetables such as sweet yellow corn, fried egg or fried plantain slices on top and make it tastier.
- Try to use fresh peas. If you don't have them, you can use frozen ones (but thaw them first). It's recommended not to use canned peas.
- If you want this dish to be 100% vegan you can substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth, as well as the bouillon powder