Chimichangas are the perfect choice for anytime you are craving authentic Mexican food. They're super easy to make and a quick and satisfying dinner option the whole family will love. All you need to whip these up are a few simple ingredients: chicken, salsa, cheese, and flour tortillas. Just fill 'em, roll 'em, bake 'em and you're done. Then dress them up your way adding your favorite fillings of guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce or sour cream.
This recipe delivers a healthy twist on the classic Chimichanga we all know and love... without skimping on taste or that fantastic crispy texture. However you bake it, this Chimichanga is guaranteed delicious!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Diced tomato, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and shredded cheddar cheese for topping
Mix chicken, salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions.
Place about ⅓ cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
Fold opposite sides over filling. Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
Brush with melted butter. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Garnish with desired toppings and serve with salsa on the side.