When I’m on my way to Cracker Barrel I have one thing on my mind, Chicken Fried Steak! Never did I think this southern classic was so easy to make at home, until now.
This is a simple way to jazz up a cheap cut of meat with a crispy coating and salty seasonings. Don’t be shy with the gravy, you’ll be mopping it off the plate with your super tender Chicken Fried Steak!
Have you ever tried chicken fried steak before? What's your favorite way to make this dish?
Get the full list of ingredients and directions for this chicken fried steak recipe below.
Chicken Fried Steak:
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds cube steak (tenderized round steak that's been extra tenderized)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In 2 medium bowls, mix the milk with the eggs in one; the flour mixed with the seasoned salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, paprika and cayenne in another. Then have one clean plate at the end to receive the breaded meat.
- Work with one piece of meat at a time. Sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and black pepper, then place it in the flour mixture. Turn to coat. Place the meat into the milk/egg mixture, turning to coat. Finally, place it back in the flour and turn to coat. Place the breaded meat on the clean plate, then repeat with the remaining meat.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter. When the butter sizzles immediately, you know it's ready to cook the meat, 3 pieces at a time, until the edges start to look golden brown, about 2 minutes each side. Remove the meat to a paper towel-lined plate and keep them warm by covering lightly with another plate or a sheet of foil. Repeat until all the meat is cooked.
- After all the meat is fried, pour off the grease into a heatproof bowl. Without cleaning the skillet, return it to the stove over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cup of the grease back to the skillet and allow it to heat up.
- For the gravy: When the grease is hot, sprinkle the flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk, mix the flour with the grease, creating a golden-brown paste. Keep cooking until the roux reaches a deep golden brown color.
- Pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Add the seasoned salt and black pepper to taste and cook, whisking, until the gravy is smooth and thick, 5 to 10 minutes. Be prepared to add more milk if it becomes overly thick. Be sure to taste to make sure gravy is sufficiently seasoned.
- Serve the meat next to a big side of mashed potatoes.
Do you know someone who loves chicken fried steak? Make sure to share this recipe with them!
You can watch our video below that shows you step by step how to make this mouthwatering dish. Let us know how it turns out!