It’s no secret that the hot dog is one if not the most consumed foods on the planet, 350 million pounds of these mystery meat sticks go through american grocery stores every year! That's a lot of weiners! What people don’t know is that you can enjoy a hot dog and have some added healthy benefits as well. Just think about it, what’s a all dressed hot dog without the bun anyways? A salad waiting to be discovered that’s what!
Like any salad start with your favorite lettuce mix, grill, boil, steam or even microwave the weiners and you’re pretty much done. I topped my salad to mimic a Chicago style dog and don’t worry no ketchup was used to make this salad but a mustard is a must, especially when it's the simplest honey mustard dressing to bring it all together.
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 cups mixed greens
- ¼ cup white onion, diced
- ¼ cup pickles, diced
- 6 hot banana wax peppers
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 cooked beef hot dogs, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds (for garnish)
- Hot dog buns for shoot
- Grill or cook your hot dogs anyway you want and cool slightly.(I grilled mine to give a smokey flavor to my salad)
- In a bowl, toss together cabbage and mixed greens. Top with hot dogs, onions, pickles, peppers and tomatoes.
- Whisk together oil, mustard and honey. Drizzle over the salad. Garnish with poppy seeds and banana peppers.