I love curries! They're always super flavorful, creamy and have just the right amount of spice. I've always been intimidated to make them myself, but this recipe is super simple and is the perfect dinner for any night of the week.
This Coconut Curry Shrimp with Peas & Potatoes is definitely what you want to make when you're craving curry. All of the ingredients are likely things that you already have on hand, so you don't have to go shopping for a bunch of items that you'll never use again. Trust me, once you try it you'll want to eat it every week!
- coconut or canola oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 1 small can coconut milk (about 6-8 ounces)
- 1 can of milk (use the empty coconut milk can to measure)
- 8 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pan, heat oil and add curry powder, cook for about two minutes.
- Stir in garlic and shallot and cook for a minute.
- Mix in potatoes, then stir together with coconut milk and regular milk.
- Add shrimp, tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and chili powder.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add frozen peas and cook for a few more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!