I will watch any movie that Sir Anthony Hopkins is in, even if it is a terrible one. No matter how bad the movie is you can always count on Hopkins at least making the parts that he is in enjoyable and entertaining.
If you are as big a fan of Hopkins as I am you may already know some of these facts, but if for the casual observer, some of these will blow your mind.
1. His real name is Philip Anthony Hopkins and he was born on December 31, 1937. His father was a baker.
2. He wasn't interested in traditional academia, instead finding himself drawn to the creative arts. Because of this he was forced to go to Jones West Monmouth Boys School in Pontypool in 1949.
3. Hopkins joined the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama in Cardiff when he was 15 because he was so influenced by the work of Richard Burton.
4. He served in the British Army for two years.
5. He was knighted at Buckingham Palace in 1993 for his contribution to the performing arts.
6. On April 12, 2000 he became a U.S. citizen. He celebrated with a 3000 mile road trip.
7. He composed his own waltz "The Waltz Goes On."
8. He won the Academy Award for Best Actor in 1991 for his performance in Silence of the Lambs.
9. He was only on screen for 24 minutes 52 seconds in Silence of the Lambs. This made his performance the second shortest to ever win an Academy Award.
The facts don't stop there. There is a reason Hopkins is as revered as he is.
10. He is said to go over his lines more than 200 times before filming.
11. He donated $1,312,800 to the Snowdonia National Park in north Wales, in 1998.
12. He has been a recovering alcoholic since Christmas 1975.
13. He released a single, Distant Star, in 1986. It made it to #75 on the UK singles charts.
14. His directorial debut was for Dylan Thomas: Return Journey in 1990.
15. He has his own wax statue at Madame Tussauds.
16. Hopkins beat our Liam Neeson for the role of Van Helsing in Bram Stoker's Dracula.
17. “God, there’s no acting required here, is there?” was the first line spoken by Hopkins when he and Chris Hemsworth saw each other with full body armors on the sets of Thor.
18. In 2008 he started a weight loss program and lost around 80 pounds by 2010.
Please don't even change Sir Anthony Hopkins.