Aunt Sends Heartbreaking Warning About Non-Prescribed Drugs After Teen's Overdose


Aunt Sends Heartbreaking Warning About Non-Prescribed Drugs After Teen's Overdose

Pexels/Brandi Bundrick Nishnick - Instagram

One pill is all it takes to kill you is the message Brandi Bundrick Nishnick wants to send to young people and adults who are thinking of experimenting with non-prescribed drugs.

Nishinick and her family were hit with an immense tragedy when her nephew Gunner Bundrick and his friend died after accidentally overdosing on a fentanyl-laced pills that were mislabeled as percocet, a popular prescription drug.

Through the pain, Nishnick was able to find the words she needed to tell Gunner's story and raise awareness.

In the gut-wrenching Facebook post, which has since gone viral, the grieving aunt reminded people that these type of tragedies don't just happen to people with drug abuse problems.

It happened to Gunner, who was never a "problem child," and as far as everyone knew, he did not have a history of drug use.

On the fateful night, the 19-year-old and his friends came home from a night out, and decided to play video games and eat pizza.

"At some point during the evening, Gunner, and his friend, took a pill stamped Percocet, the very popular and easily accessible pain killer. We don't know why he decided to take "˜a pill' that night. The only thing we can assume is that the curiosity of knowing what the "˜high' is like came into play? Again, we can only assume."

The boys were found by Gunner's mother the next morning. She tried to resuscitate them, but they had already been dead for hours.

Nishnick explained that it is very likely that the pills contained "more than 50% fentanyl," which is enough poison to kill 10 adult males."

She then touched on the fact that throughout time young people have always been curious and are willing to "experiment," however, these days, things are much more dangerous.

"Kids are experimenting with pills because they think they're safe. They've seen them in their parents medicine cabinets from their moms car accident last year or from when their dad threw out his back. They seem harmless.

These aren't the pills in your parents medicine cabinet. They are made in someone's garage who is trying to make a buck...a buck at the expense of our children's lives. THERE CAN BE NO EXPERIMENTING. None. It's truly a matter of life or death."

Gunner, left, and Jake, right, died from an accidental overdose of illicit drugs and fentanyl. The Daily Courier File Photos

Nishnick reminded those reading her message that fentanyl is an odorless and tasteless drug that can't be seen, so it can do a whole lot of damage before everyone realizes what's happened.

"Tell your kids Gunner's story. Show them his picture. I can't describe the amount of pain my brother, sister-in-law and Gunner's sisters are going through- a pain that will NEVER end. A hole that will NEVER be filled. A life that will never be brought back. A beautiful life. Gone forever."

Gunner and Jake's story not only highlights the current national opioid crisis, but the dangers of taking pills that were not prescribed to you by a doctor.

Hopefully, the more people share their story, the more we can prevent tragic overdoses like these.

Blair isn't a bestselling author, but she has a knack for beautiful prose. When she isn't writing for Shared, she enjoys listening to podcasts.