Nowadays, it seems like almost every product should come with a warning label.
As a parent who wants to make sure that my children grow up healthy and happy, sometimes it's hard to keep up the newest health reports.
When I was a kid, I grew up storing and reheating food in plastic containers all the time. It's hard to definitively say whether that has taken a toll on my health today, but it's something to consider.
As more research is being done on how plastic affects our health, a recent report from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) revealed an interesting development.
What We Know
In the last decade, I think it's safe to say that we've all been told at least once about the dangers of reheating food stored in plastic containers in the microwave.
Celebrities are also talking about it!
Last year, Kourtney Kardashian revealed in her blog that she never cooks any of her family's meals in a microwave.
"If anything needs to be heated up, I prefer to use the oven, stovetop or toaster oven instead," the Keeping up with the Kardashians star explained. "I read that toxins from plastic containers can be transferred to food when reheated (this applies to BPA-free plastic containers too)."
Even the Food and Drug Administration has known about this risk and is working to protect people from chemicals found in plastics that can seep into food when reheated.
Chemicals like BPA and phthalates are the ones doctors say you should be most concerned about.
But it's not only putting food in plastic and then popping it in the microwave that you should be concerned about.
Also, they add that containers labeled as "microwave-safe" may be putting your health at risk too.
The AAP claim that there are even more risks associated with plastic containers, and that children are more vulnerable.
The pediatricians wrote BPA "can act like estrogen in the body and potentially change the timing of puberty, decrease fertility, increase body fat, and affect the nervous and immune systems."
And phthalates, which is a chemical that makes plastic more flexible, "may affect male genital development, increase childhood obesity, and contribute to cardiovascular disease."
They also warn that washing plastic cups and containers in the dishwasher can also make these chemicals seep out.
As for plastic products labeled "microwave-safe," if they're scratched or have changed color, they should be thrown out.
Plastic containers are cheap, but there may be a price to pay in the long run.
Shelling out a few more bucks to buy glass containers will keep you and your family safe - giving you more peace of mind.
That being said, you might not always have to spend the extra money. Amazon has a lot of great deals on glass food storage containers that come with airtight lids.
This set of four is only $10, and if you have Amazon Prime, you get it shipped for free!
(Disclosure: we might make a small amount if you buy these glass containers.)
Share this article to spread awareness about the dangers of reheating food in plastic containers!
Speaking of microwaves, here are nine foods you should never microwave.
[H/T: Fox News]