Blueberries are extremely healthy and tasty fruits, which can be consumed raw, added to pies, smoothies, or squeezed in your juice.
They offer numerous health benefits, including:
- They prevent blood cholesterol damage.
- They protect the function of the brain and prevent memory loss due to the high antioxidant content.
- They are rich in nutrients but low in calories, as a cup provides 3.6 grams of dietary fiber, 24% of your recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C and 36% of Vitamin K.
- They have been found to reduce blood pressure and lower cardiovascular risk factors. One study has shown that the daily intake of 50 grams of these fruits for 8 weeks led to a 4-6% drop in blood pressure.
- They are rich in antioxidants which prevent the signs of aging, damage to the DNA, and cancer. A study has shown that the daily consumption of blueberry juice lowered the effect of DNA damage by 20%.
You can now grow unlimited amounts of these beneficial fruits at home, and this is how:
Find the proper place
Search for the perfect spot for your blueberry bush, as it needs a high-quality soil and a lot of sunlight. The sunlight will provide the needed conditions for photosynthesis, which is vital for its growth, and the soil will support this process.
If you have a large garden, the raised beds are perfect, as the water will run throughout the soil, giving the needed moisture. If you live in a flat, you should purchase a patio container.
This bush requires up to 6 feet of space to expand naturally. If you grow more bushes, they should be at 2.5 to 3 feet distance in between.