Fans of the hit game show Jeopardy were stunned this week as the show's long-time host, Alex Trebek, revealed he was hospitalized last month.
The game show shared a video message from Trebek on their social media page, revealing that the program has been put on hiatus while Trebek recovers at home.
NBC News reported that the 77-year-old host underwent emergency brain surgery at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on December 16.
Trebek revealed that the surgery was to remove blood clots on his brain, also know as subdural hematoma. The condition is usually linked to head injuries, and Trebek explained it was caused by a fall he suffered in October.
While the host brushes his case off as a "slight medical problem," he says he spent two days recovering in the hospital before being released to recover at home.
Trebek shared a video message to fans about his recovery process, and revealed what will happen to Jeopardy in the meantime.
In a video to fans, Trebek appeared upbeat, dressed casually and wearing a Jeopardy baseball cap.
He reveals that his prognosis is "excellent," and that he expects "to be back in the studio and taping more Jeopardy programs very, very soon." He also thanked his fans for their concern about his health.
Sony Pictures Entertainment, which produces Jeopardy, said in a press release that the host is expected to "make a full and complete recovery," and to start taping new episodes later this month.
Jeopardy tapes several months in advance, so there won't be much change in the show's daily schedule, but Sony announced that the show's College Championships (which were meant to be taped this month) will be pushed back to April.
Trebek has been hosting the hit game show since 1984, and this isn't his first health scare. He suffered a mild heart attack in 2012, and underwent a knee surgery in 2015.
Last year, Trebek re-signed his contract, locking him in as the host of Jeopardy through the 2019-2020 season.
We're wishing Alex a speedy recovery!