Bologna...Nuggets?! Yes, indeed, these are a thing, and they’re more delicious than you might think!
Made with standard deli bologna that’s been cut into thick slices and stuffed with string cheese, this deep fryer treat is absolutely scrumptious! Try dipping in ketchup or BBQ sauce for a unique snack or dinner the whole family will love.
- 1 pound bologna, cut to 1-inch thickness
- 6 mozzarella cheese strings, cut to 1-inch long pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat deep fryer or large pot filled with oil to 350 degrees.
- Cut bologna into nugget-sized pieces using a round cookie cutter. Using smaller cookie cutter, cut a smaller circle in the middle of bologna, and place a piece of cheese or two inside to fill the gap.
- Place bologna pieces in a medium bowl and cover with buttermilk, then set aside.
- Prepare dredge by mixing the rest of the ingredients.Only frying a few at a time, place soaked Bologna pieces in the flour mixture, shake off excess flour and place back into buttermilk, then back into flour.
- Place dredged pieces into the preheated fryer, and fry until golden, about 1 minute.Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!