Pulled pork sandwiches are amazing, especially when the meat is juicy, tender and full of delicious BBQ flavor. These Pulled Pork Sandwiches are my go-to when I'm craving something meaty and messy. What's better is that they're made in an Instant Pot, so they end up bursting at the seams with all that yummy, juicy pork flavor.
Buy your own Instant Pot HERE and use the coupon code SHAREDFOOD.
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds pork shoulder or butt, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 rolls or buns, split
- Your favorite coleslaw
To make the spice rub:
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne. Season the pork with the rub.
To make the sauce:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ketchup, molasses, water, vinegar, brown sugar, chili powder, mustard, Worcestershire, and cayenne.
- To Cook:Turn the Instant pot on to Sauté. Heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the sauce and mix to combine. Press Cancel.
- Add the pork to the sauce and turn to coat. Lock the lid. Here you have the option to slow-cook or pressure-cook (don‘t do both!).
- To slow-cook: Press Slow Cook, leave the vent open, and cook on “More” for 8 hours.
- To pressure-cook: Press Manual and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes.
- When cooking is complete use the “Quick Release” method to vent the steam, then open the lid.Transfer the pork to a bowl. Press Cancel, then press Sauté and simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Press Cancel.
- Using 2 forks, shred the pork, then return it to the pot and toss to coat. Pile the pork and coleslaw on the bottom halves of the buns and sandwich with the tops.
Recipe Credit: Sara Quessenberry and Kate Merker by Instant Pot