When a good Samaritan noticed a sickly looking pit bull roaming around in their yard, they guessed that the poor pup had been on the street for quite a while.
By the looks of him, he certainly had seen better days. He was skin and bones with what appeared to be a painful skin condition. Additionally, the poor boy appeared to either have been hit by a car, or attacked by another dog.
Luckily, Animal Control tracked down his owners and confirmed that this sweet tempered dog was in fact named Baby.
In the meantime, vets caring for him did bloodwork and discovered that his white blood cell count was significantly high. They inspected his skin issues and concluded that he's probably been dealing with them for quite a while.
They finally contacted Baby's owner who agreed to immediately come for him...
Baby was brought in as a stray with some painful wounds and an odd skin condition. Thankfully, his loving mom had not given up on her search to be reunited with her beloved friend.
It is clear to see that Baby's human mom had been distraught about his disappearance.
Although he had only been on the run for about 24 hours, her sweet pup had clearly gotten himself into some mischief.
Luckily, the vets were able to identify the source of Baby's skin condition and offered to help her treat him.
Although he seemed underfed and sickly, it turns out that Baby has some pretty intense food allergies that were not under control.
According to Pet Health Network, canine food allergies are common reactions to proteins like lamb, beef, chicken and eggs. Some dogs are also allergic to soy or gluten, which is found in wheat, while others might be allergic to preservatives and additives in commercial dog foods.
When Baby ate foods that he was allergic to, his body produced an allergic reaction which resulted in symptoms of itchy skin, and probably diarrhea or vomiting.
It's probably a good thing Baby escaped that day; now he has a new health plan and some antibiotics. Together with his mom and the vet who rescued him, they will clear up his allergies once and for all!