When I was a kid, I used to LOOOOOOVE when my mom made Sloppy Joes for dinner. Maybe it was the fact that for once, I was actually allowed to make a mess with my food for once. Messy eating now as an adult, well, not so much...
This cheesy, Sloppy Joe French bread creates not only a cleaner eating experience, which in my case is desirable, but also gives a nostalgic explosion of a classic favorite with a little added cheesy twist. Share this with your kids tonight!
- 1 loaf French Bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 2-3 bell peppers
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 15-ounce can Sloppy Joe Sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and lay cut bread halves, inside up, side by side. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, cook onion until translucent. Add in ground beef and continue to cook until fully browned.
- Before adding the sauce, drain out all excess liquid from the meat.
- Stir in sauce until fully heated through.
- Spread meat sauce mixture over both halves of the bread and cover the mixture of both cheeses.
- Bake for roughly 10 minutes or until cheese is finally melted.
- Let cool slightly and cut into slices. Top with a bit of green onion and enjoy!