Last year, dozens of women who came forward with sexual assault and harassment allegations against prominent men in Hollywood, including producer and co-founder of Miramax Harvey Weinstein.
These women's bravery not only inspired other females to share their experiences, it also allowed the men who have suffered in silence to speak out. Former NFL player-turned-actor Terry Crews was one of them.
The Brooklyn Nine-Nine star alleged that a "high level Hollywood executive" touched him inappropriately while he was at an industry event in 2016.
In a Twitter thread, Crews wrote: "This whole thing with Harvey Weinstein is giving me PTSD. Why? Because this kind of thing happened to ME. My wife [and] I were at a Hollywood function last year [and] a high level Hollywood executive came over 2 me and groped my privates."
Crews noted that he didn't keep the incident to himself, instead he shared the story with everyone he knew that worked with the predator.
The executive didn't ignore the situation either. He called Crews in the next day to offer an apology, but never gave a reason for what provoked the unwanted touching.
Crews said he had no choice but to drop the subject afterwards because he "didn't want 2b ostracized"” par 4 the course when the predator has power n influence."
However, once he saw all the women stepping up to name their abusers, he also did the same.
While on Good Morning America, Crews finally revealed the name of the man who groped him.
"Back in February 2016, I was assaulted by Adam Venit, who is head of the motion picture department at William Morris Endeavor, one of the biggest agencies in the world, period," Crews, 49, said. "He's connected to probably everyone I know in the business ... I did not know this man. I have never had a conversation with him, ever."
"I have never felt more emasculated, more objectified. I was horrified," Crews added. "It's so bizarre. I wake up every morning wondering, 'Did this really happen?'"
Following an internal investigation, Venit was suspended from William Morris Endeavor, according to a statement from the company to ABC News.
Crews, who said he "won't be shamed" by what happened, filed a police report last November.
"People need to be held accountable," he said. "This is the deal about Hollywood. It is an abuse of power. This guy, again, he's one of the most powerful man in Hollywood, and he looked at me at the end as if, 'Who is going to believe you?'"
He has since been a loud advocate for victims of sexual assault and he very recently read a powerful testimony to a senate committee in support of the Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights.
During his speech, he revealed something startling about the producer behind the upcoming fourth installment of the Expendables, which also stars Sylvester Stallone.
Crews revealed that the producer, Avi Lerner, tried to silence him by asking him to drop his sexual assault case.
"I'd done three movies called the 'Expendables' with Sylvester Stallone," he told the Senate. "The producer of that film called my manager and asked him to drop my case in order for me to be in the fourth installment of the movie. And if I didn't, there would be trouble."
He also later tweeted about Lerner's actions, and confirmed the connection the movie has with his case. Turns out, Stallone's agent is the man who groped Crews.
"Guess who's Sly's agent? ADAM VENIT," Crews wrote.
Management got a call last week from Avi Lerner producer of EXPENDABLES 4 saying I could avoid any "problems" on the sequel if I dropped my case against @WME.— terrycrews (@terrycrews) February 3, 2018
Guess who's Sly's agent?
Lerner is also under investigation for sexual assault, and Crews believed that he is being told to keep quiet because it's a case of one abuser protecting another.
Unfortunately for Crews, turning down major roles isn't the only downside to speaking out. Many of his Expendables cast mates haven't shown him any support throughout the ordeal.
"One thing that I faced when I came forward with my story was ostracizing, shame "” by people who look just like me. By other black men who called me weak, who said I must've wanted it," Crews said in response to another senator.
The lawsuit against Venit was eventually dismissed because the incident took place after the statue of limitations for misdemeanors passed. Venit has since returned back to work, but that doesn't stop Crews from fighting for victims like him.
He is doing all he can to ensure that predators will eventually get punished.
"We can stop this now," Crews said. "This is fixable. But we do have to hold people accountable."
Kudos to Crews for standing his ground even in the face of adversity.