Celebrity | News | Trending

The D.A.'s Verdict Is In For Nick Carter's Sexual Assault Case

Wikimedia Commons/Joella Marano

In early August, the Santa Monica Police Department revealed that they presented the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office with a sexual assault case involving Backstreet Boys member Nick Carter.

A spokesperson for the L.A. District Attorney told E! News that the case, which was submitted on July 31, "remains under review."

The news outlet also confirmed with Lieutenant Saul Rodriguez of the Santa Monica PD that the case is about a sexual assault incident that took place in 2003.

"I can confirm a victim came forward to Santa Monica PD in Feb. 2018 regarding an alleged sexual misconduct involving Mr. Carter in 2003," Rodriguez said. "Following an investigation, the case was presented to the LA DA's Office on July 31, 2018 for review. No additional details are available."

Though the Santa Monica PD wouldn't give up the name of the accuser, it became clear that former Dream member Melissa Schuman was the victim.

Schuman she posted a tweet earlier this year that give it all away.  

"I'm finally doing what I thought I could no longer do," she tweeted on February 7, the same day the allegations were made public. "I'm filing a police report #timesup #bebrave #bethechange #metoo thank you @RAINN [the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network] for empowering me to take this step."

Through a graphic post on her blog, Melissa Explains It All, Schuman alleged that Carter raped her in his apartment back in 2003. She admitted to sharing a consensual kiss with him, but things suddenly took a turn when Carter, who was 22 at the time, took her to the bathroom and started unbuttoning her pants

“He took off my pants anyway and then proceeded to perform oral sex on me,” wrote Schuman, who was 18 when the alleged incident took place. “I told him to stop, but he didn’t.” She said that Carter forced her to perform sexual acts on him before taking her to his bedroom and wouldn't let her escape.

Schuman explained that she was recently inspired to come forward by the #MeToo movement, but back then, she was told nothing would be done if she reported Carter because he had a strong legal team supporting him.

Carter immediately released a statement via TMZ denying all the allegations Schuman made against him.

"I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations. Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally.

This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm."

Now, the D.A.'s office has made the decision not to charge Carter based on the fact that the statute of limitations has expired, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Neither Carter nor Schuman have released official statements addressing the most recent development in the case, but the latter was recently quoted saying that coming forward "was the scariest thing I've ever done but...I'm better for it. I'm free...I've gotten my voice back."

Carter has also been dealing with other challenges, including losing his unborn child. The "I Want It That Way" singer shared the heartbreaking news on Twitter, explaining that his wife, Lauren, suffered a pregnancy loss.

"God give us peace during this time," he tweeted. "I was really looking forward to meeting her after 3 months. I'm heart broken."

Carter, who is already father to a two-year-old son named Odin, didn't share how far along Lauren was, but revealed that they were expecting a little girl.

Awa has been writing for Shared for 3 years. She is a serial snacker who unapologetically loves celebrity gossip. Drop her a line at awa@shared.com.