Young Girl Saves Family From House Fire After Learning Safety Tips At School

Uplifting | Trending

Young Girl Saves Family From House Fire After Learning Safety Tips At School


A seven-year-old girl has saved her family members from a roaring blaze after learning fire safety tips at school.

Tracy Durant's quick thinking saved her cousins's lives, after a fire broke out out when her 13-year-old cousin, Shemaiah, was cooking on the stove.

"It looked like when the stove was on and it came up top and then it kept getting bigger and bigger," Tracy told WEAR. "I didn't want us to get killed."

The young girl's parents weren't at their Florida home at the time, so she ran to her neighbor's house to making the life-saving 911 phone call.

Luckily, everyone was able to escape the burning building, including the girls's 11-month-old cousin.

"I feel happy to save my baby cousin because I didn't want him to get killed. He is eleven months and he will turn one next month on the ninth," Tracy said.

While Shemaiah was transported to Sacred Heart Hospital in serious condition, she is expected to make a full recovery.

An Escambia County spokesperson said that while the fire started in one room, there was smoke damage throughout the entire house.

"Some stuff can be saved and some stuff can't. My grandbaby lost everything," Tracy's grandmother Lakesha James said.

Despite the destruction of the flames, Tracy's family are proud of the young girl's heroism.

"I told her she saved her little cousin and she got out and ran with him and got some help. She said, 'But grandma did I do wrong?'; [I said] 'No baby you did the right thing'," her grandmother said.

Meanwhile, Tracy is praising her teacher for teaching her the fire safety tips.

"She said one day I would be a hero...and I wanted to start practicing now," Tracy explained.

Do you know a youngster who performed an act of heroism?

Maya has been working at Shared for a year. She just begrudgingly spent $200 on a gym membership. Contact her at