An apple a day keeps the doctor away! Take your daily fruit intake to a whole new level with these sweet treats!
These soft, caramel apple squares combine two classic favorites in a mouth watering dessert. With just basic ingredients you can treat yourself in little to no time at all. Serve up these warm treats with a scoop of vanilla ice cream any day of the week. It's the ultimate in comfort food!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 11 ounces caramel squares
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In the stand of a mixer, beat together the butter and the apple butter until combined. Then beat in the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, until just combined.
- Combine the caramel and the heavy cream in a measuring cup and microwave on 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth.
- Spread 2/3 of the dough on the bottom of the baking dish, pour the caramel over it, and add the rest of the dough to the top. It is easiest to add the rest of the dough by flattening small pieces and setting it on top of the caramel.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges of the bars are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut and serve!