Mom Posts Urgent Warning About Popular Snack After Son's Asthma Attack

Trending | News

Mom Posts Urgent Warning About Popular Snack After Son's Asthma Attack

Racheal Richard McKenny/Facebook

If you ask a crowd of people if they have a sweet tooth it's guaranteed the majority of people would raise their hand, especially if it's a group full of children.

So, it makes sense that a parent would treat their kids to junk foods without thinking too much about the consequences.

Although eating sugary snacks can cause some serious health concerns, people don't typically face the repercussions immediately after eating their desserts.

So when one mother from St. Augustine, Florida noticed her son, who has mild asthma, had difficulty breathing after eating a particular candy, she knew she had to warn her fellow parents.

Racheal Richard McKenny was out with her husband and two children when they stopped by a vendor in The Avenues Mall in Jacksonville to get their kids Dragon Breath, a liquid nitrogen-infused cereal.

After a person eats the treat, smoke will come out of their mouth and nose - like a dragon.

Posted by Racheal Richard McKenny on Wednesday, July 25, 2018

However, Richard McKenny said on their 40-minute drive back home, her son Johnny had experienced difficulty breathing, which she claims rarely occurs.

"Around 20 minutes in, the cough became really consistent. By the time we passed the Palencia subdivision, he was coughing so bad that he was having trouble catching his breath," she wrote on Facebook.

"We knew he couldn't breathe, and we knew that we couldn't get him to the hospital in time," she continued.

She pulled into a nearby fire station, where EMTs started Johnny on albuterol treatment and placed him on a IV drip before they reached Flagler Hospital.

"The nebulizer was not improving his breathing at all and, by the time they got him loaded into the ambulance, he needed a shot of epinephrine," Richard McKenny wrote. "Johnny had a second breathing treatment and [steroids] on the way to the hospital."

According to Dr. Sunil Joshi of Family Allergy Asthma Consultants in Jacksonville, even those who don't suffer from asthma can be harmed by the nitrogen in the goodies.

"Even if you don't have asthma it can be very, very inflammatory or irritating to the airway and your esophagus and your stomach, all of that," he told WJAX.

Although the manager at the kiosk has posted an updated allergy and asthma by the cash register, Richard Mckenny is cautioning people who have "even just a mild case" of asthma not to indulge them in this treat.

"PLEASE, if you know someone that has even just a mild case of asthma, do NOT let them have this snack," she said. "I should have known better, but it did not occur to me that this food could have this effect. As a result, my son could have died. Please don't make the same mistake I did."

But, Dragon's Breath isn't the only thing you need to watch out for this summer. Here are other items parents should be cautionary of:

[H/T: Daily Mail, WJAX]

Maya has been working at Shared for a year. She just begrudgingly spent $200 on a gym membership. Contact her at